hi tickle luggers,

i think i need a "default font lesson" or something.

i'm accustomed to running thunderbird on my main screen (centos 4 or
fc5).  but when i run it inside Xvnc, it gets a different font, and
nothing fits in the columns anymore.

i'm accustomed to running gnucash in Xvnc on centos4.  now i've launched
it (still) on my centos 4 box but displaying in Xvnc on my fc5 box, and
here again it's getting an all new font, nothing fits in the column
widths, and the windows that open are taller than usual.

heretofore i've paid no attention to fonts.  but clearly i've become
accustomed to whatever fonts i've been getting.

i'm loathe to plunge deep into xrdb and other ancient X lore.  i'd
sooner do something simple like add font specs to my commandlines.  but
can someone give me a quick lesson so i can learn what fonts i've been
getting so far, and how i might specify them on the commandline so i get
the same ones regardless of my roamings amongst various X environments?

tia,
greg wm