There are issues with running a 32-bit OS with more than 4GB of RAM.
You will need to enable PAE in order for the OS to see more than 4GB and
even then a 32-bit process can only allocate 2GB of RAM unless the app
has been written to take advantage of PAE.  So, in my opinion, if you
have a 64-bit processor and more than 2GB of RAM, then without a doubt,
use the 64-bit version.

I would do a fresh install if you are switching to 64-bit.  I don't
think there is any issues with running 32-bit apps on a 64-bit OS since
I'm doing it right now.  Just about all open source Linux apps have a
64-bit port.  There are a few apps that they haven't made a 64-bit
version (Flash, Acrobat, etc), but I managed to get 32-bit Flash to work
in 64-bit Firefox.

I would also make sure you can get 64-bit Linux driver support.  Even
Windows doesn't have great 64-bit driver support.

-Chris
http://www.cb1inc.com