Alright... I did my googling and after poring over several pages of
forum posts, I still wasn't able to find an answer that satisfied me.

I've got a server with an "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+" running
Gentoo. Everything has been compiled as 32-bit (i686). I am in the
process of looking at a new server from Dell with a 64-bit Intel
Processor (currently comparing the Xeon E5310 & the Xeon 5130).
Questions are as follows:

   1. If I plan on getting 8GB of RAM, will I need (or really want) to
      install 64-bit linux? Are there gains by going 64-bit or is it
      better to enable high ram support in the kernel, compile as 32 and
      call it done?
   2. Will I be able to use the same binaries from the old server on the
      new one if I install 64-bit? I'd really prefer to copy as much of
      the data from the old server to the new one as I can. I am aware
      that a 64-bit chip can run 32-bit software, but I don't know the
      details. Do I need a 64-bit kernel? How about libraries?

I realize these questions are probably very generalized, but I have
basically zero knowledge of the subject so I don't really even know
where to start. If people need more info to be able to answer, I'd be
happy to provide it.

Essentially, it comes down to this:

Should I use 8 GB of RAM in a 32-bit machine?
How much work is it to transition a machine from 32-bit to 64?

I really appreciate all the help TCLUG has been in the past. A good
group of solid techies. Thanks.

    -Matt

--

	<http://www.plaudit.com/>