I haven't set up OpenSER yet.  From the documentation, it appears you
can either do something like a passthrough authentication where users
authenticate directly with the Asterisk boxes behind it, or you have
to create users on the OpenSER box.

If you are creating users on the OpenSER box, does it pass the
authentication credentials through to Asterisk?