On 7/5/07, Benjamin Gramlich <benjamin.gramlich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in getting my A+ certification. Have any of you taken the
> exam? If so, do you have any suggestions for a book to use a prepatory
> guide?
>
> Also, are there any other certifications that one should acquire in
> order to be more marketable as an IT Technician?

As a hiring manager, I give zero weight to the A+ certification.  So many
people have it that I question what value it really represents.  Give me two
resumes, one with the A+, one without and it won't have any bearing
whatsoever on my decision.  That said, I don't hire hardware techs, so if
that's where your passion lies, perhaps its more useful for you.  YMMV and
all that.

As to your other question, specialized certifications will be (in my
experience) far more valuable than generalist ones.  Also pick ones that
have a decent reputation in the industry.

By and large, there are very few certifications that I place significant
value on because so many of them are textbook certs.  (meaning you can earn
one by memorizing stuff in a textbook, like the MCSE)  Ones that I do place
some emphasis on are: CISSP, GIAC, CCIE and, to a lesser extent, the RHCE.
(I'm sure there's a lot of other very worthwhile certs -- those are just the
ones I know about)

--kurt