On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:

> On 1/31/07, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
>> Is it possible that Linux machines don't identify as such?  I don't know
>> why a machine would give it's OS to a web site!  It seems like a bad idea,
>> so maybe Linux users avoid it.
>
> Web browsers generally identify their OS to sites they browse via the
> user agent string.  see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent#Example_user-agent_strings.
> If you use firefox, you can see what your browser is reporting itself
> as in the help>about box.
> I doubt that user-agent spoofing or hiding has much of an impact on
> statistics.

Thanks.  And thanks to everyone else who filled me in on this point.

I do lots of Linux computing myself, but almost all of it is done via ssh
or vnc from a Windows machine.  My web browsing is done 99+% from a
Windows machine.  It has been convenient to work this way, but the latest
release of Windows is not looking so appealing to me.  It does seem like
a good time to try Linux on the desktop again.

I have used Linux on desktop a few times but it never really took.
Probably part of my problem is that I don't make it my primary computer --
it's either a second OS or it's a second (and less powerful) computer.
Maybe something like the next release of Ubuntu will be enough to get me
to make the leap.  It is definitely a goal of mine to dump Windows
completely.

Mike