> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Steve Siegfried wrote:
>
>> OS rankings published by OneStat.com on 14Aug2006:
>>
>>   > The 10 most popular operating systems in the world on the web are:
>>   >
>>   > 	1.  	Windows XP  		86.80%
>>   > 	2. 	Windows 2000 		6.09%
>>   > 	3. 	Windows 98 		2.68%
>>   > 	4. 	Macintosh 		2.32%
>>   > 	5. 	Windows ME 		1.09%
>>   > 	6. 	Linux 			0.36%
>>   > 	7. 	Windows NT 		0.24%
>>   > 	8. 	Macintosh Power PC 	0.15%

>>   > Methodology: A global usage share of xx percent
>>   > for OS Y means that xx percent of the visitors
>>   > of Internet users arrived at sites that are
>>   > using one of OneStat.com's services by using the
>>   > particular number of OS Y. All numbers mentioned
>>   > in the research are averages and all measurements
>>   > are normalised to the GMT timezone. Research is
>>   > based on a sample of 2 million visitors divided
>>   > into 20,000 visitors of 100 countries each day.
>

> Is it possible that Linux machines don't identify as such?  I don't know
> why a machine would give it's OS to a web site!  It seems like a bad idea,
> so maybe Linux users avoid it.
>
> Linux definitely has more market share on the server, as you suggested.

It would part of the HTTP_USER_AGENT value, which is a standard CGI
environment variable. Its included as part of the HTTP REQUEST data. Do a
Google search on "browser identification" there are several sites on the
web that will feed the information back to you.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com
http://www.jacku.com