On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, rwh wrote:

> Just to be pedantic, IBMs competitors were Univac, Sperry-Rand,
> Burroughs, GE, CDC, Honeywell and a couple others that escape my memory.
> HP, DEC, DG, etc. were in the mini-computer market where they got to
> compete with the IBM System 3x stuff and eventually Sun, SGI, etc.
> You'll probably notice that none of the mainframe guys are around,
> except UniSys and I couldn't say whether they still make a mainframe or
> not - they were big with utilities in the 60's so its possible.

Thanks to everyone for all the historical info.  I should point out that
IBM does till make mainframes and their vendor lock-in system is still
working for them.  Check out this article (NY Times, 8 May 2006):

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/08/technology/08ibm.html?ex=1304740800&en=d98e03e56e9faa78&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I think you can see that, but if you can't, let me know.

Mike