On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Dan Rue wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:56:35AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
>> Even if I were to use FreeBSD, I doubt that differences in the kernels
>> would mean much to me as a user.
>
> I shouldn't, but I just can't resist responding to this..
>
> FreeBSD isn't just a different kernel.  It's like this:
>
> Linux is kernel + apps (mostly GNU).

Right, but the article was about the code base for the kernels.

> FreeBSD has a concept of a base system - so the OS itself isn't just a
> kernel, but a kernel, plus the bare bones of a working OS (and very
> little if any GNU in base).  In other words, they distinguish between a
> base system, and 3rd party applications.  Some things like sendmail and
> bind are included in base, but for most applications you install from
> the package/ports system (i hear gentoo's package system is quite
> similar).  This lends to a very consistent and reliable core OS.

It is possible to install GNU on FreeBSD kernel and drop all the FreeBSD
utilities.

http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

> As well, freebsd is very strict about the filesystem hierarchy.  3rd
> party applications *never* install their configs to /etc.  They belong
> in /usr/local/etc.  This separation, applied to all files and
> applications on the system, is one of the best userland reasons to favor
> freebsd over linux, imho.

Why doesn't Linux do it that way?  They've been adopting standards and I
think that sounds like a good standard, or at least a good recommendation
to developers.

Mike