> I have had this issue a number of times and it is getting more than a
> bit annoying.
>
> System:  FC5 - have updated everything within the last couple of weeks
> with yum.
>
> I am working along ... at some point the system seems to lock up - after
> a fashion.  I can still move the mouse and the arrow is moving
> around ... the color of the mouse changes indicating I can move it
> across windows and that is detected ... but ... I can not select any of
> the windows open on the screen.  It is like the mouse button feature is
> gone.
>
> I eventually get annoyed ... reset X via ctl-alt-backspace to kill X,
> relog in and then everything is fine.
>
> Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Randy

I used to see this kind of thing happen with certain mice, certain
distributions and GPM (General Purpose Mouse control for console apps). If
 gpm is running it can screw up X. That said I haven't seen this anytime
recently and I thought the problem was corrected. Also do you use a KVM
switch? Those are known to have issues with mouse lockup or disappearance
but mostly after switching between systems. I have one that I can get to
reset if I unplug the mouse and plug it back in.

My $0.02,

Jack