On 1/8/07, Randy Clarksean <rclark at lakesplus.com> wrote:
> I may be just a bit befuddled here ... but ... I am trying to upgrade my
> kernel on a Fedora Core 5 system.
>
> I tried using YUM and it did not fly all that well.  There was an error
> message while trying to install the kernel ... some error related to
> grub ... searched the web, but no luck.
>
> so ... I run rpm -qa | grep kernel  and I get
>
>         [rclark at dualasus ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
>         kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
>         kernel-smp-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5
>
> The 2.16.15 version is what I have now.  But ... the grub.conf shows
> nothing related to 2.6.18 ... which I would like to try and install.  I
> tried going out to download the SRC and work at it from that way ... but
> none of the repositories go past the 2.6.15-1.2054.
>
> How does the 2.6.18-1 show up ... how do i install it properly ... and
> why does it not show up out on the repositories?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Randy

Hi Randy,

For whatever reason, the rpm package couldn't update your
/boot/grub/menu.lst (that's a sym link to /boot/grub/grub.conf in case
your machine is missing it).

First check that it created a new, up-to-date initrd image for the new
kernel. You should find an initrd image file in /boot that has the
kernel version number after it. So it should look something like:

/boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5.img

If not, you'll need to create it by using the mkinitrd command like so:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5.img <kernel-version>

Replace <kernel-version> with the directory name in /lib/modules/ that
matches the new kernel version. In your case it will probably be
2.6.18-1.2257.fc5.

Now update your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to include the kernel and
initrd image (I'm assuming the kernel is in the proper place since it
showes the RPM is installed). The simplest way to do that would be to
copy the existing entry for your older kernel and change the version
numbers to match the new kernel on the kernel and initrd lines. Don't
forget to change the title line to reflect the new kernel version.

That should do it.

Good luck!

Eric