Florin Iucha writes:

> I have a server and an workstation, both running Linux.  The uids and
> gids match between them.  From the server I am exporting a directory
> using Samba, which the root mounts as "cifs" on the workstation.
>
>    mount -t cifs -o credentials=blah //server/myshare /mnt
>
> The server has the unix extensions enabled.

The problem with samba is that it merges windows and unix IDs and fudges
them together.

samba handles the windows ID side of thing, the filesystem handled the unix
side of things and they need to match or you will get the problem that you
are having.

Samba is SUID root, and will SUID to the user that you logged in as. (unless
you use the force options)

my guess is that the directory is owned by root and only root can create the
file, samba creates the file (because it is root) and at some point suids to
the logged in user to change the permissions and allow you write access
where you get the permission denied errors.

--
Munir Nassar