Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Justin Krejci wrote:
>
>>> The only guy I know and talked to uses BSD as the base for their
>>> products (and this is not a small embedded company) *exactly* because
>>> of the GPL and license requirements to distribute source code.
>> Yup, BSD based is the way to go.
>
> Not for the individual licensing his code, but for the individual who
> wishes to use code written by someone else.  If you want to contribute
> something to the world, you definitely should not choose BSD for your
> license.  The GPL will do much better in promoting the software and
> leading to further development.

Hey Mike,

That seems a bit simplistic. How many places/projects do you think might
want to use GPL but don't care to participate in the legal vagarities
revolving around GPL?  If I license a commercial library I pay cash and
agree to restrictions on distribution. If I go the GPL route I don't pay
cash but I do have to buy into the social goals of the GPL and accept
some uncertaintly about IP liability.  If I go the BSD route I only have
to accept some uncertainty about IP liability.

I 'grew' up during the days of the Apple II and CP/M and a lot of us
just put code out there in the public domain. So I have no problem with
the BSD approach. I've also worked on projects where a commercial
license was preferable and some where GPL was fine.

I'm a bit surprised by your comment. I doubt there are any restrictions
on your published papers that would prevent me from extending what
you've done (in principle anyway, practice is a different matter) and
using it in a strictly commercial setting. That is essentially what the
BSD folks are doing.

Two small corrections to some of the stuff I've seen flying by in this
thread. The code most people are referring to when they talk about MS
using 'BSD' code is the network stack. As I recall this predates either
GPL or BSD licenses. I believe it was put into the public domain as a
result of AT&T's failed suit against the UCal Board of Regents
distribution of the original BSD code which was based on AT&T's Unix code.

It was also my impression that Apple's OS X was based on the same BSD
licensed by NeXT from Berkeley rather than FreeBSD, although parts of OS
X were ported from FreeBSD. I'm also pretty sure that Apple had been
posting back enhancements to FreeBSD - Wikipedia mentions the Base
Security Module being ported back from Apple's implimentation. They were
also contributing patches and features from Safari back to KDE's
Konqueror - at least until there was some conflict in priorities between
Apple and the KDE folks.

MS is another story, but really, do you want them contributing to the
code base :-)

--rick