Mike Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, T.J. Duchene wrote:
>
>> Here is a Q&A vignette published by the FSF covering most, if not
>> all, of what I posted:
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
>>
>> I think the only thing that might not be mentioned is the fact that
>> distributors have the right to charge you for handling, copying to a
>> medium, and shipping of the code - but that is covered in the GPL
>> itself.
>
> Thanks, T.J.  That is an important point.  It is covered in this
> section of the FAQ:
>
>    I just found out that a company has a copy of a GPL'ed program, and it
>    costs money to get it. Aren't they violating the GPL by not making it
>    available on the Internet?
>
> Maybe some of us are not understanding that it is perfectly fine to
> use GPL code to build some device that runs that code internally and
> to then sell that device (along with internal GPL code).  That isn't a
> violation unless no information about the existence of that code is
> included with the device.  The distributor has to offer the code.
> It's in section 3 of the GPL2:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if it's in a microwave oven or
> on a computer HDD.
>
> Mike
You're very welcome! =)

No, it really doesn't matter the form the GPL code takes.  Others might
quibble over minutiae when interpreting the license, but I'd put money
on the fact if it ever hit a courtroom, the distinction wouldn't matter.

One of the first things I learned a years ago, was that whether a
program is written is software or hardware, it is still a program. I
expect that the GPL doesn't make that distinction, because legally it's
probably not necessary.

Whether it's written in a language such as C, or in embedded microcode
in the form of a processor, PLA, or flash - it amounts to precisely the
same thing.  It's all a set of instructions (aka boolean equations) to
govern a desired operation.  There really is no difference between the
high level language code or embedded logic - because in the end it IS
ALL processor logic.

I realize what I'm about to say will probably offend a sizable number of
posters, and for that I do apologize, but there is no other way to say it.

Today's programmers are massively lazy.  They learn languages but not
the theory of how it all works.   They don't learn the legal
responsibilities of their positions within the industry.  They click
through, violate unwittingly, or deliberately ignore license
agreements.   That is one of the many reasons we have legions of lawyers
running around in lawsuits all over the place.

I had my fun dealing with licenses back in 2002 with Borland, and it was
a learning experience. I saw firsthand how messed up enterprise licenses
are, after arguing with Borland over Kylix OSS Edition.  After that, I
can appreciate how wonderful, and simple, the GPL license really is.

T.J.