On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 12:21:36PM -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I don't need a source do I?  The fact that it's done with inpunity
> seems to back it up.

Define "impunity".  The fact that something is done with impunity does
not make it legal.  Drug dealing is done with impunity (within certain
time and location constraints).  Take a ride on a highway and count
the people driving over the posted speed limit - then use this
strategy when called in court for speeding, and let us know how it
worked.

> When you sell a microwave are you distributing
> software in any sense of the word?  You're distributing a piece of
> hardware that happens to have some (rather inaccessable) software
> running in it....if you read the GPL, especially the part I quoted,
> you'll notice 'running software' is not covered by the GPL.

The software running inside my computer is rather inaccessible as
well.  I need special equipment: a disk controller, a processor, a
terminal and some software to "access" it.  What does that prove?

> I think you are the one that needs to provide extrodinary proof,
> either with court records of cisco paying out because they are
> breaking the GPL,

Cisco started distributing the source code for the kernel and some
userspace utilities from their series of wireless routers and access
points.

>                   or perhaps providing me with a copy of the software
> running on every embedded device running a derivative of linux in
> your house (hint, there's more of them then you probably think)

When you'll buy my house, I will.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163