On Thursday 22 February 2007 11:08, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > How about cisco?  Well, they don't distribute their software
> > either. They sell devices that run their software.  Let's take a
> > look at the GPL itself:
> >
> > Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are
> > not covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act
> > of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the
> > Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based
> > on the Program (independent of having been made by running the
> > Program). Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.
> >
> > How about the software that runs (choose your embedded device
> > here) your microwave.  Can you get the source code for that, even
> > though it's based on linux?  Of course not.  The manufacturer of
> > the microwave isn't distributing their software, they are simply
> > selling a device that runs their software.
>
> That is a surprising interpretation.  I don't agree with it.  By
> selling microwaves, the seller is *distributing* *copies* of the
> software encoded within it.  The format is irrelevant -- HDD,
> firmware, floppy, CD, etc. Thus, because selling microwaves
> involved distributing and copying the modified GPL software, and
> not just running the programs, the software on the microwave (or
> other embedded devices) is covered by the GPL.
>
> If you have a source that contradicts my claim, please share it.
>
> Mike

I don't need a source do I?  The fact that it's done with inpunity
seems to back it up.  When you sell a microwave are you distributing
software in any sense of the word?  You're distributing a piece of
hardware that happens to have some (rather inaccessable) software
running in it....if you read the GPL, especially the part I quoted,
you'll notice 'running software' is not covered by the GPL.

I think you are the one that needs to provide extrodinary proof,
either with court records of cisco paying out because they are
breaking the GPL, or perhaps providing me with a copy of the software
running on every embedded device running a derivative of linux in
your house (hint, there's more of them then you probably think)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel