When I download Ubuntu I get an ISO file which I have burned to a CD (this
is using my Windoze machine).

I have loaded Ubuntu 5.10 onto another machine via a CD from Library book.
That machine runs however Firefox browser seems to only go to Ubuntu web
site.  The/a second tab doesn't connect to the internet but eventually
displays a "times out" message.  Also I can't figure out how to access
files from other Windows machines via ethernet.  Therefore the Linux
experience thus far is fruitless and frustrating.

I would like to get Ubuntu 6.10 onto the Linux machine but when putting
the CD, mentioned above, in the 5.10 machine not much happens of a useful
nature.   How does one use the Windows machine to creat a CD that is not
an "ISO" file??
Thanks,
Steve

ps - thanks to Joey R for the ifconfig clue!!