On 2/1/07, Steven White wrote:
> So to the question, does anyone know of a specific brand and model of
> PCI wireless network card that I could put in my computer, that would
> work "out of the box"?

It's not PCI, but I have a Hawking Technology HWU54G USB wireless card
that works well with my desktop machine running fedora core 6.  In
fedora, it required that I download a gzipped tar of firmware files
that had to be extracted to /lib/firmware (see http://zd1211.ath.cx),
but I seem to recall it "just working" in ubuntu, so your experience
may vary.  It worked fine in either case, so I'd imagine your distro
wouldn't have too much trouble.

At any rate, this particular card was around $50 at Comp USA last
fall, and I haven't had any trouble with it so far.

sm