Yeah you're on the right track, but you'll also need to make sure postfix
knows to allow certain hosts to us it as a relay. You can do this right in
the main.cf file with something like the following:
mynetworks: 192.168.0.0/27, 127.0.0.0/8

Either that or setup SMTP AUTH and TLS to restrict relaying by user account.
There are a number of ways to setup your client machines with
postfix/exim/sendmail/ssmtp to be an auth client.