Dave, I hate to step on your idea, but it's already been done in two
different formats.  The first is called BookMooch and the site can be
found at http://bookmooch.com/.  This is a book exchange site where you
catalog the books you're willing to share.  You receive points for books
you send, and spend points to receive books.  The _sender_ of the book
pays shipping, which kind of sucks if you send out of country.  They
compensate by giving 3 points to the sender, and the receiver only
requires 2 points to spend.  It's actually a pretty cool system.

The second site is called BookCrossing, the site is at
http://bookcrossing.com.  This book exchange site promotes the idea of
tagging books (like wildlife animals) with an ID and then "releasing"
the books "in the wild".  You don't get points, and it doesn't cost you
anything to participate.  You then "hunt" for books you find off the
list of those released.  I almost equate it to a pseudo-acceptable way
to throw your books away at local coffee shops and laundrymats.  What
you don't get is that direct person-to-person exchange of books.

Yours would be the third type of site, which is a membership fee, free
shipping paradigm.  Might work. *shrug*  Good luck!

Chad