On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:19:32PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that there are several package management tools and that
>> different Linux distros use different tools.  I assume that several
>> Linux distros are in compliance with the LSB (for locations of
>> libraries and such).  Why can't all package management tools from such
>> distros be interchangeable?  What is the source of incompatibility, if
>> there is any?
>
> And furthermore, why aren't all programs written in the same programming
> language?  After all, a stamp, an eraser and an infinite tape is all
> that one needs.
>
> florin
>
> PS: LSB compliance requires that the system can install packages that
> are in RPM v3 format.

I thought I'd read something about that (LSB uses RPM) and so made the
comment about "libraries and such."  The point I'm trying to make is that
the different distros aren't all that different.  If they have the same
kernels and the same libraries in the same locations, why does it matter
which one you are using?  Well, I take it that the other big difference is
in package management, in terms of the user interface and software program
for package management, in terms of the package file format and terms of
which packages are available and how up-to-date they are.

Why would I want to run an Ubuntu package on a Red Hat machine?  Because
the Ubuntu package is a more recent version or installs to a different
folder or was compiled with different options, or maybe the package is
available for Ubuntu and doesn't even exist for Red Hat.  Aren't these
real possibilities?

I get what people are saying about dependencies.  If I remove a package,
it might remove the dependencies I installed for that package unless they
are needed by another package.  Is that so?  If so, and I installed the
other package using a different installer, the dependency might be missed.
So it could mess me up if I try to use two package managers at once.  On
the other hand, if I can remove a package without removing dependencies,
then maybe I wouldn't have a problem.

Mike