On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:19:32PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> It seems to me that there are several package management tools and that
> different Linux distros use different tools.  I assume that several Linux
> distros are in compliance with the LSB (for locations of libraries and
> such).  Why can't all package management tools from such distros be
> interchangeable?  What is the source of incompatibility, if there is any?

And furthermore, why aren't all programs written in the same
programming language?  After all, a stamp, an eraser and an infinite
tape is all that one needs.

florin

PS: LSB compliance requires that the system can install packages that
are in RPM v3 format.

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163