On Tuesday 18 December 2007 04:23:03 pm Chuck Cole wrote:
> [...]

Are you suggesting that it's easier to have a tool that tells you things are
in the 'wrong place' than to just put them in the right place in the first
place?  That seems counter-intuitive to me, it's always less work and more
robust to do it right the first time than to do it wrong and have a
second-pass try and fix it.

There is no 'implied mystique' in the FreeBSD ports tree.  LOCALBASE is set
to /usr/local, everything in the ports tree defaults to installing under that
hierarchy.  A port *can* override LOCALBASE, and in very rare occassions it's
permitted....for instance, if the port installs a kernel module of some sort
it has to be able to make it's way in to the root filesystem....but the vast
majority of the 18,000+ apps in the ports tree simply do not put anything
outside of /usr/local and it manages to happen without having to somehow
clean up after the fact.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB