Seem both feasible and desirable to make some sort of after-the-fact "rule
checker" for Linux to self-enforce such a discipline and detect when
something new is contrary.  Might need some heuristics in any case, but that
tool would preserve the option to take exception as well as the check for
anomalies.  I think I'd prefer the rule checker since scope and completeness
become verifiable and not just an "implied mystique" of the OS.

Chuck