all the better. i like speed to zip faster. that is why i am considering putting in a wireless n/ gbit network with verision 150 mbit backbone into my system and a hacked linksys router/firewall with freebsd kernel. that is why i have 3 computers, freebsd desktop, reactos desktop, and ubuntu 7.10 server, with reactos's kernel hacked to be much faster.

steve ulrich wrote:
> On 12/16/07, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, steve ulrich wrote:
>>
>> > i think the real irony in this thread is that ubuntu makes the dogs
>> > breakfast of linux more like freebsd in its operational elegance.
>> >
>> > fwiw - there are several things about freebsd's kernel which are
>> > definitely nicer than what's available on linux.  notably in the
>> > networking realm.
>> >
>> > - 10GE optimizations w/TCP segment offload (linux might have this now)
>> > - SCTP - admittedly of niche interest, but this just works on freebsd and doesn't DIY brain surgery
>> > - soft updates for filesystem updates
>> > - pluggable network stack w/netgraph
>> > - kernel queues
>> > - accept filters
>> > - partial support for pf (which is just good enough to keep you from going to openbsd given how nice pf is.)
>>
>> I have to admit that I don't know what those things are.  Would they
>> affect user experience?  If so, how?  It sounds like maybe some of the
>> differences affect network speed, but I guess that wouln't make much
>> difference for most users unless they were moving large files or
>> collections of files on a NFS.
> these aren't of widespread interest outside the realm of server
> applications or networking geeks. i.e.: the average user reading email
> or running applications won't care a bit about this stuff.  the guy
> running a large production server with a lot of traffic on it, does.
> the guy debugging something on a relatively latency free lab network
> that needs to debug something that manifests itself in lossy networks
> or wants to shim something in the stack, does like this stuff.
> these are kernel elements which most folks (or workstation users)
> don't care about .
> --
> steve ulrich (sulrich at botwerks.*)

Be a better friend, newshound, and