On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 02:40:38PM -0600, Charlie O wrote:
> I'm going to be setting up a dual boot machine, with XP and Linux.  I want
> to have more than one XP image with different software releases, so I want
> to copy 2 complete XP images to spare partitions, and then load whichever
> one I want to run.

This will be tricky, as you'll need grub to 'hide' one partition or
another [1].

> I know there is image ghosting software available, but it seems to me I
> should be able to accomplish the same thing with the copy command and the
> right switches.  Am I right?

Close.  You copy raw partitions with 'dd'.  You'll need partitions
that are at least as large as the source.  Use the -u command argument
to fdisk when comparing partition sizes so you don't get tricked by
different hardware 'geometries'.

Cheers,
florin

1: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163