On Dec 18, 2007 9:30 AM, Steve T <progressivepenguin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Same here.  I will be setting up VOIP in our new place and am looking for a
> good hardware / software combination (reasonably priced).

I've nearly completed an asterisk rollout here - we're using asterisk
1.4 at our HQ and 1.2 at 4 branch offices around the world.  Each
office has their own connection to the PSTN (either ISDN-PRI or
ISDN-BRI) as well as being connected to all the other offices with
IAX2 trunking over our VPN.  It works *really* slick, and aside from
some stupid dialplan programming errors on my part, we haven't had a
single problem in the year or so since starting the rollout. At each
location, we're running asterisk on top of Gentoo linux with Dell
poweredge hardware.  As far as linecards go, we're exclusively a
Sangoma shop - we order the hardware echo cancellation chips with
their cards, and find them to be of excellent quality.  Their tech
support is second to none, IMHO.

As far as phones go, the vast majority of people are using Linksys
SPA941s (about $125), though we have several people that are using the
X-Lite softphone.  I've also recently purchased a few Polycom 501s for
review.  They're a few dollars more expensive than the Linksys phones,
but from what I can tell, are of significantly higher build quality.
I'm still working on an automatic provisioning system for the
polycoms, so we'll see how they fare when that's complete.

-Erik