On Dec 6, 2007 7:51 PM, Joey Rockhold <joey.rockhold at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find this conversation very interesting, but here is another perspective
> to think about.
>
> 2038 is 30 years away.  Will you be using the same type of computer in 30
> years?  No, I'm guessing not.  Think of what computers were 30 years ago.
> Will you be using software after 30 years?  I don't think so, it won't run
> on your new operating systems, because so much will have changed.  It's
> possible you will use the same software, but it will be a much later / fixed
> version.  What about data stored in databases?  I'm guessing date/time
> fields will be converted as needed.

This is the exact same argument that was used in the 1960's and 70's,
when some programmers noticed that they were going to have a Y2K bug
if their 6-digit date code was still around in the year 2000.

How much you want to bet that there will still be 1990's-era and
2000's era hardware and software still in production use by 2038? We
will probably see the same IT boom starting in about 2036, that we did
in 1998 -- maybe on a lesser scale. I don't know much about GNU date,
but I think I know something about human nature :-)

--
Dave Sherman
MCSA, MCSE, CCNA