That's both profoundly naive of how important having different CPU type
really is for differing applications

The "excess bits" in data flows and control flows are points of potential
failure, and consume power, and waste time, and cost more.

In spacecraft, extra pounds cost millions, extra watts do also.  Cheaper in
fighter aircraft, etc, but still a great concern and expense.

Such a view is also very narrowly focussed on an equivalent of a "desktop
gaming machine" as the only environment that matters, as if software
development targets the same exact (trivial, and inconsequential)
environment.  In a bigger world, errors and needs to reboot can cost lives,
and possibly hundreds of lives at a time.

Uh, I disagree that the decision is so simple or so singular an issue
outside the game room.  :-)

Chuck