On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 12:52:59AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that newer 32-bit Linux distros have a new version of
>> 'date' that can deal with 2038?
>
> I was implying that, but I was wrong.  Both Ubuntu 7.10 and Centos 5.1
> 32 bit have the same problem you described.  Which is kind of silly -
> there is no inherent limitation in the formatting part of the date
> program that would force it to use 32 bits on 32 platforms.  I
> understand that hardware it what it is and you can only set 32 bits...
> But I suspect (maybe wrongly, again) that the old beards that maintain
> coreutils would just close a potential bug submission with 'works as
> intended' 8^)

Thanks to both Florin and Elvedin for looking this up.  Very interesting.
I had no idea that this was how we would be dealing with the 2038 problem
on some of these machines - by replacing them with 64-bit machines.  It is
really a software problem, but I guess it's much more easily resolved in a
64-bit architecture so programmers are crossing their fingers and hoping
all the 32-bit machines will be gone before 2038 gets here!  I won't be
surprised if air traffic controllers are using in 2038 machines that they
bought in 1997.

Mike