Let others address this.  I don't have enough knowledge here.

> In other words, is it better to
> have 100mb/s and a reliable RAID setup than to have 480mb/s and an
> external drive that may overheat in its enclosure and die?

My 2.5 inch external case/drive does a decent job of conductive cooling
to the exterior from which natural convection is quite adequate.  I'd
guess that the same attention to cooling exists for larger cases.  I was
interested in the simplicity and portability of my 2.5 inch external
drive when my laptop was sick and I needed to access data through a
desktop at work.  60Gb that fits a shirt pocket is nice!  Speed with USB
2.0 "ain't bad" (this laptop drive is kinda slow anyway), and I can
tolerate the speed with USB 1.1 before resorting to juggling CDs, etc.

Chuck