On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Chuck Cole wrote:

> But that says the USB 2.0's 480 mb/s is no better than 100mb/s of the
> net, and that is much slower than direct access to a drive.  The extra
> USB speed provides a net speed buffer in that case.  Each of those cases
> is much slower than a direct access to a fast drive, and that was the
> original point.

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the new kid on the block: External SATA
(a.k.a., eSATA):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#External_SATA

That's gonna be sweet.  ;-)

On the topic of what is good enough:  Most of the time I don't need much.
Let's face it, I was happy when I got a 2400 baud modem!  Recently, I
couldn't get a pcmia card to work in an old Gateway laptop, so I bought a
USB 2.0 wireless card.  Only problem is that the USB port on the old box
is USB 1.1 which might get me as much as 8 Mbps.  While surfing the net
from that box, you really can't tell that it is "slow" by current
standards.  It works fine.  I have no complaints.

Mike