On 4/22/07, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> I'm hoping someone on the list has some experience with this or knows
> where to look.
>
> I've got a tape recording where a tape player was used that clicks bad.
> So the recording I want appears to be on the tape very quietly, however
> the clicking is so loud because the internal mic on the recorder was
> used.  Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove these clicks?
>
> An example of the recording can be found at
> http://mtu.net/~jpschewe/remove_clicks.flac
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  The recording is of a memorial service
> and I have someone that was unable to be there that I'd really like to
> get a copy to.  Thanks.

I can think of two ways to do this:

method one: the cheap/free way (that might not work so well..)
get a copy of audacity, isolate a block of the noise that you wish to
eliminate. copy it onto a different track, and repeate the noise
sample though out the entire recording. invert the noise sample track.
line up the noise sample track so that the clicks are synchronized
across the two tracks. this might or might not result with a sort of
psuedo "active" noise cancelation of the clicks.

method two: the proprietary software way:
get the audacity VST enabler plugin (windows only) and then "obtain" a
copy of the Waves Platnium VST bundle (again, windows only)

there's several plugins in the set for noise reduction that work
fantastically; x-click or x-noise might work well for you. x-noise can
sample a section of noise and build it's anti-noise profile based on
that. rtfm ;)

good luck!