For running Linux and XP on one computer, my own system uses two drives, and
I use <F8> at POST time to select the drive I want to boot from.  Though for
most windows things I use VMWare, but that won't work with my video capture
card.

On the kids computer I installed XP (but never told them the password to
logon) first, then Fedora Core 4 and it works fine with Grub as a boot
loader.  I let the FC4 installer setup the partitions the way it wanted.

IIRC I may have had to manually add XP to the boot options in GRUB, but it
was a while back and I'm not sure about that.

--
<><