On 4/4/07, John T. Hoffoss <john.t.hoffoss at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/07, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman <brian at ropers-huilman.net> wrote:
> > This is a fairly common practice to prevent you from using mail
> > servers that are not their own. One easy solution is to setup your MTA
> > to listen on another port (I've used 2525) or to send via SSL/TLS as
> > they never think to block 465.
>
> Well, he said outgoing. The "proper" way to do this is to configure
> your MTA to relay your mail to your comcast SMTP server, and
> everything will work just great. You can still use SSL/TLS, but that
> only fixes stuff for incoming. And IIRC, Comcast shouldn't block
> 25/tcp into your server, so it should not interfere with receiving (or
> sending from outside your LAN).

Yes, there is some confusion here. I was assuming he has some mail
agent trying to send a message (whether a client or an MTA). As has
been hashed out here, most ISPs only allow :25 traffic to pass to
their own servers. For many people this is just fine, but some people
want their mail to come from their own MTAs. With :25 "blocked," the
only other solution is to point to another port. For example, my
Alpine client can quite happily send mail directly through my MSI
servers via :465.

If, however, the situation is that he's running his own mail server at
home, then, yes, things are quite different. He's explained that he's
an MX for mtu.net and I do not see any clear solution to him running
an SMTP on a box in his home.

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman