See info below.  So "cut -o" was rejected by the POSIX committee I guess,
but it seems like a good idea to me.  If we can't have "cut -o", how about
a new program "cuto" that we can add to our systems if we want it?  Has
any such thing been written?  How hard would it be to write it?  I guess
the "cut -o" plan was rejected about 7 years ago.

Mike

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/utilities/cut.html

A proposal to enhance cut with the following option:

-o
     Preserve the selected field order. When this option is specified, each
     byte, character, or field (or ranges of such) shall be written in the
     order specified by the list option-argument, even if this requires
     multiple outputs of the same bytes, characters, or fields.

was rejected because this type of enhancement is outside the scope of the IEEE
P1003.2b draft standard.