I need a USB WiFi adapter for an embedded application. We initially
tried a Hawking USB dongle, but that seems to be very unstable and
seems to quit working after a little use.

Does anyone have any recommendations for USB WiFi adapters that work
well with Linux? Preferably, it would also be able to operate in
access point mode.

We're running CentOS at the moment due to some other compatibility
issues that we haven't had time to deal with so it is running an older
2.6.12 kernel. Since we're using CentOS, I'm sure you figured out that
this application is not restricted by disk space and we are not
restricted to using embedded c libraries such as uclibc so assume that
we have standard Linux libraries and utilities.

Thanks,
Eric