Well, like I said, scanning works well for me, but I don't use xsane.
I'm using kooka for my frontend.

All I had to do was install the hplip and hplip-hpijs packages (again,
this is on OpenSuSE 10.1). Then, I made sure that the hpaio entry in
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf was uncommented and now kooka detects the scanner
automagically across the local network.