Thanks for all the good comments from all on the list.

Printing - works fine.  I use CUPS and it goes along without a problem.
I use the standard HP driver that works for tons of other systems.

Scanning *pulls hair out*  Part of the time xsane will find the
device ... for awhile it was fine and would scan one page ... but never
would it scan a multipage document, which is what I REALLY want to be
able to do with it.  Faxing I can do manually and never be bothered by
it ... scanning needs to work flawlessly in order to save me time as
part of my job.

I have ended up putting it back onto a Windows box and just using the
standard HP interface - works flawlessly.

Any suggestions on the configuration setup for xsane would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Randy