> No! The company has simply endured 998,000 violations
> of their license agreement, something they can create and
> enforce based on copyright. You may think that translates
> into the loss of $499M, and Mike may not. While I think the
> company may be owed $499M by those who violated
> their license, it is money they never had and in reality
> were never likely to make.

According to whom?  I don't believe you've ever owned or managed a
business.  If someone uses a product you created and they have never paid
for it; as the owner of that company you would most definately call that a
loss.

> Everyone in the world may come up with some analog
> for this license/copyright violation, but analogies are
> made for people who may have a difficult time
> understanding or relating to a situation. I do not think
> we at TCLUG have this problem. We do not have to
> call it Piracy or Theft because all of us can be made
> to understand exactly what this is (if we don't know
> already).

My puny intellect trembles in the shadow of your tremendous 10-pound
brain.  I'm not worthy.

> The attempt to make an analogy is understandable
> because the situation is complicated. Unfortunately,
> complicated situations are where analogies fall apart
> with the greatest speed.

Well your weighty opinion goes against almost all pedagological evidence.
I challenge you to prove your assertion.  We can email off the list so we
don't bore others with our debate

> A non-analogy:
>
> You own or are employed at $SoftwarePublisher,
> and your company produces $SoftwareProduct. $N
> years of blood, sweat, and tears have gone into
> making $SoftwareProduct the most $PositiveDescriptor
> software on the market. You have recently discovered
> that illegal copies of $SoftwareProduct are easily
> available from a number of sources.
> What can you do?
> What should you do?
> What will you do and why?

I see...a non-analogy analogy

Mark Ring

Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and
support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.
Now with 200mb storage and Google-powered search!
Feelgood email!