>>> <markring40 at ippimail.com> 09/04/06 10:58 PM >>>
>Mike I think you've answered your own question.
>The company in your example has lost $499
>Million dollars!!  That would definately hurt them.
>It would not help them.

No! The company has simply endured 998,000 violations
of their license agreement, something they can create and
enforce based on copyright. You may think that translates
into the loss of $499M, and Mike may not. While I think the
company may be owed $499M by those who violated
their license, it is money they never had and in reality
were never likely to make.

Everyone in the world may come up with some analog
for this license/copyright violation, but analogies are
made for people who may have a difficult time
understanding or relating to a situation. I do not think
we at TCLUG have this problem. We do not have to
call it Piracy or Theft because all of us can be made
to understand exactly what this is (if we don't know
already).

The attempt to make an analogy is understandable
because the situation is complicated. Unfortunately,
complicated situations are where analogies fall apart
with the greatest speed. To me, the air-time
analogy makes the situation seem more mysterious,
not less. That is probably because I am less familiar
with air-time than I am with software licensing.

A non-analogy:

You own or are employed at $SoftwarePublisher,
and your company produces $SoftwareProduct. $N
years of blood, sweat, and tears have gone into
making $SoftwareProduct the most $PositiveDescriptor
software on the market. You have recently discovered
that illegal copies of $SoftwareProduct are easily
available from a number of sources.
What can you do?
What should you do?
What will you do and why?

Too bad polls usually don't have essay options
because I think the answers would be very interesting.