On 9/5/06, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Jeff Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > I've used Avocent Switchview because of their ability to reset the mouse
> > and keyboard without rebooting the computers.
>
> I guess that is a KVM.  Three earlier posts before this one mentioned KVMs
> that also did not require rebooting.  Maybe I don't get this.  The whole
> point of the KVM is that you can switch without rebooting.

I think you misunderstood what he meant.  Many of the cheaper KVM's
have issues with mouse or keyboard disconnecting every once in a
while.  (Like the Belkins we have where I work...my input is don't go
with the Belkin Omniview E series)  I believe that command is a way to
make the mouse reconnect without having to reboot the computer.  On
most KVM's that have such an issue, you end up having to reboot the
computer that had the mouse disconnect, or go without your mouse.  In
fact, the Belkins here have a "reset" button on them, but that doesn't
even always work to get the mouse input back.
That said, I've never had any issues with HP's rackmount 8 port IP KVM
switches, but they're pretty spendy.
- Justin