May want to look into rebuilding Module::Build and see
if you can enable C support.  I found this (below) at
this url:
http://www.forbiddenweb.org/viewtopic.php?id=123319

Damien

>Dear Users
>
>I work on debian testing with perl 5.8.8. If I try to
install the module
>Image::Imlib2 to install (perl -MCPAN -e shell /
install Image::Imlib2)
>then after a few downloads, I see this error-message:
>
>-- snip --
>
>Warning: this distribution contains XS files, but
Module::Build is not
>configured with C_support at
>/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Module/Build/Base.pm line
1128.
>Checking prerequisites...
>Looks good

I hit this before. You need to reinstall Module::Build
and build
it with C_support, so it can build xs files. IIRC it
will prompt you
for a y/n as you build it.