On Thursday 12 October 2006 10:54, "Sam Martin" <s.earl.martin at gmail.com> sent
a missive stating:
> On 10/12/06, Joey Rockhold <joey.rockhold at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 3) Set up FreeNX on your home machine
>
> That's not a bad idea, but my home network connection's a little
> spotty, and my desktop machine at home is a 933mhz pentium III.  I
> want to play with the core 2 duo... sigh.
>
> > On 10/12/06, Joey Rockhold <joey.rockhold at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 1) If you have the fortune to be able to install Windows Server on
> > > your machine, you could download the free VMWare server and install
> > > Linux within there.  Then configure and run the VMWare console on the
> > > same machine.  Or, get VMWare workstation, which does not need a
> > > server version of Windows.
>
> That would probably work, and I may end up going that route.  I'm on
> WinXP, but you can use easyvmx.com to create an empty virtual machine
> that'll work with VMWare player.  It's not as nice as Workstation, but
> it's pretty handy (and free).  I regularly use VMWare player from a
> Linux workstation to test Windows software (we license a third-party
> wince/palm app with a windows-only conduit at work, so I have to be
> able to test it), so I guess doing the reverse for a while won't kill
> me.
>
> > > 2) Try a live distrobution.
>
> That'd be my first choice (the beast has 2GB of RAM, so I was looking
> forward to running a livecd with the "toram" option), but I can't get
> one to boot.  Knoppix, Slax, DSL, Mepis (I've grown quite a collection
> of live cds over the years)... I'll play with the boot args to see if
> I get lucky, but none of the CDs I tried could recognize my dvd drive
> during the boot process.

Sorry, I missed the start of this thread. What's the model of the lappy again?
See if you can get into the BIOS and disable "SATA" mode or enable "legacy
PATA" mode.

I have a HP Pavilion DV8000 and Gentoo (the last time I tried) wouldn't
install without that setting. Of course, niether would XP. Suprisingly,
FreeBSD booted just fine in SATA mode. Maybe give PC-BSD a shot or grab a
minimal install ISO of FreeBSD.

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson
rhavenn at rhavenn.net
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who
 understand binary and those who don't..."