On 10/12/06, Joey Rockhold <joey.rockhold at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) Set up FreeNX on your home machine

That's not a bad idea, but my home network connection's a little
spotty, and my desktop machine at home is a 933mhz pentium III.  I
want to play with the core 2 duo... sigh.

> On 10/12/06, Joey Rockhold <joey.rockhold at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) If you have the fortune to be able to install Windows Server on
> > your machine, you could download the free VMWare server and install
> > Linux within there.  Then configure and run the VMWare console on the
> > same machine.  Or, get VMWare workstation, which does not need a
> > server version of Windows.

That would probably work, and I may end up going that route.  I'm on
WinXP, but you can use easyvmx.com to create an empty virtual machine
that'll work with VMWare player.  It's not as nice as Workstation, but
it's pretty handy (and free).  I regularly use VMWare player from a
Linux workstation to test Windows software (we license a third-party
wince/palm app with a windows-only conduit at work, so I have to be
able to test it), so I guess doing the reverse for a while won't kill
me.

> > 2) Try a live distrobution.

That'd be my first choice (the beast has 2GB of RAM, so I was looking
forward to running a livecd with the "toram" option), but I can't get
one to boot.  Knoppix, Slax, DSL, Mepis (I've grown quite a collection
of live cds over the years)... I'll play with the boot args to see if
I get lucky, but none of the CDs I tried could recognize my dvd drive
during the boot process.

sm