I think the "official solution" is to run vmware-toolbox with the
"Time syncrononization" (spelling from the tool  <grin>) miscellaneous
option selected.

Not ideal if you don't want a logged in X session, but it's one
answer.  Otherwise, I'd guess cron is your friend.  ntpd restart or
just go with ntpdate every 1-5 minutes?

Ron