On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 15:16 -0500, Mike Miller wrote:

> Is there an efficient way to filter the backscatter?  You can't stop it
> from coming to you, but once it has arrived, there are many ways to cope
> with it.  What are people doing?
>
> Mike

This procmail script has kept them away from me.  I was getting several
thousands a day.

Notice that I send some immediately to /dev/null while I send some to a
daemon-mailer folder.  I built this after some long and arduous testing.
Make sure you watch carefully and remove the items that are more
dangerous in your environment.

If you add to this or modify it, please post to the list.  I could
certainly benefit from it.

By the way, also look up "Joe job".  It relates to this topic as well.
There are some decent ideas for handling the flood when you are
joe-jobbed.

Good luck!
Chris

:0
* ! ^Subject: failure
* ! ^Subject: Returned
* ! ^Subject: Delivery Status
* ! ^Subject:.*delivery failed
* ! ^Subject: failure
* ! ^Subject: Returned mail
* ! ^Subject: Mail System Error
* ! ^Subject: Returned (M|m)ail
* ! ^Subject: Rejected posting
* ! ^Subject: Considered UNSOLICITED
* ! ^Subject:.*erifica
* ! ^Subject: Mail System Fehler
* ! ^Subject: Benachrichtung
* ! ^Subject: Blocked by
* ! ^Subject:.*SPAM
* ! ^Subject: Notificati
* ! ^Subject: Warning
* ! ^Subject:.*Auto-Response
* ! ^Subject:.*utomatic response
* ! ^Subject:.*Undeliv
* ! ^Subject:.*was blocked
* ! ^Subject: Out of Office
* ! ^Subject:.*Delivery (F|F)ail
* ! ^Subject:.*not be deliv
* ! ^Subject:.*FAILED
* ! ^Subject: Mail delivery
* ! ^Subject:.*Notific
* ! ^Subject:.*autoreply
* ! ^From:.*postmaster
* ! ^From:.*mail\@
* ! ^FROM_MAILER
* ! ^FROM_DAEMON
* ! ^Subject:.*process your
* ! ^Errors-to:.*spamarrest.com
{ }
:0 E:
/dev/null

# This recipe catches most DSNs
:0HB
* -1^0
* 1^0 ^FROM_MAILER
* 1^0 ^Status: 4.2.0
* 1^0 ^Status: 4.4.1
* 1^0 ^Status: 4.4.2
* 1^0 ^Status: 4.4.6
* 1^0 ^Status: 4.4.7
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.0.0
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.1.1
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.1.2
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.1.6
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.2.1
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.2.2
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.2.3
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.3.5
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.4.7
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.5.0
* 1^0 ^Status: 5.7.1
* 1^0 ^554 5.0.0 Service unavailable .*
* 1^0 ^Remote host said: 550.*User unknown
* 1^0 ^Remote host said: 554.*doesn't have a yahoo.com account.*
* 1^0 ^User.*not listed in public Name & Address Book
* 1^0 ^Sorry, no mailbox here by that name.
* 1^0 ^<.*>: Unkown user:
* 1^0 ^User mailbox exceeds allowed size:
* 1^0 ^.*No matches to nameserver query
* 1^0 ^A message that you sent could not be delivered
* 1^0 ^.*550 unknown user
* 1^0 ^This is a permanent error; I've given up.
* 1^0 ^The user(s) account is temporarily over quota.
* 1^0 ^Receiver not found:.*
* 1^0 ^Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.
* 1^0 ^--AOL Postmaster
* 1^0 ^I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
* 1^0 ^550 5.1.1 <.*>... User unknown
* 1^0 ^550 <.*>\.\.\. User unknown
* 1^0 ^Subject:.*failure notice
* 1^0 ^did not reach the following recipient\(s\):
* 1^0 ^The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
* 1^0 ^.*550 Mailbox quota exceeded
* 1^0 ^.*550 Access Denied
* 1^0 ^550 5.0.0.*Can't create output
* 1^0 ^.*There is no such addressee as
* 1^0 ^Mail Delivery Failed... User unknown
daemon-msgs