At where I work, we have had great results with f5 BigIP for
high-availability and load-balancing on the front end.  Meaning someone
surfs to the big IP's exported address and gets one of the servers
beneath.   It's very configurable.

For the MySQL end you could synchronize with MySQL Cluster.  If you really
are uptime-oriented, you could split the MySQL off into a different server
cluster.

If you have shared (non-database) storage that both hosts need access to,
nothing beats a NAS mount for simplicity.  Of course, you'd have to make
that redundant...

It's definitely doable, but it can get expensive real quick if you don't
have an existing infrastructure...

-Dave