On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 at 13.17.55 -0600, Florin Iucha wrote:

> > >It depends.  If you have root on LVM you can snapshot it and have nice
> > >backups.  Granted, / should not be changing much at the hour you are
> > >doing the backups, but still...
> >
> > Isn't snapshot a function of the filesystem type and not LVM?
>
> Snapshot is a function of the block device.  Some filesystems, such as
> XFS have a built-in freeze/dump capability which can simulate it
> pretty well.  What LVM snapshot is able to do, is allow you to
> "freeze" a block device for online back-up while writing pending

The filesystem has a little to do with it, I think.  My memory is hazy,
but I vaguely remember once having a problem where I'd make a snapshot
LV, but when I mounted it, it was inconsistent and needed an fsck.

Given that the filesystem was contained in a snapshot LV, this process
did not exactly get too far off the ground....

--
Sidney CAMMERESI
http://www.cheesecake.org/sac/