On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 11:44:49AM -0600, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> >> I suggest in the future you do not LVM root (/). Along with /boot (which
> >> cannot be LVM'd) it is a good idea to avoid doing it on your root
> >> partition for the reasons you've now learned.
> >
> >It depends.  If you have root on LVM you can snapshot it and have nice
> >backups.  Granted, / should not be changing much at the hour you are
> >doing the backups, but still...
>
> Isn't snapshot a function of the filesystem type and not LVM?

Snapshot is a function of the block device.  Some filesystems, such as
XFS have a built-in freeze/dump capability which can simulate it
pretty well.  What LVM snapshot is able to do, is allow you to
"freeze" a block device for online back-up while writing pending
modifications to a separate block device this eliminating the
down-time.

florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra